February 4, 2010

Mr. Mom

So I lost my job last Friday, after almost 8 years. It's not as if I couldn't see it coming, considering I was averaging about 1 hour of real work a day for the last several months. I guess I was in denial. On the other hand, job hunting wasn't a real option either, since several printing firms had gone under in the last 18 months or so. We had a fairly steady stream of people looking for work coming in.

My wife still has a full-time job, and the kids and I will be covered by her health plan, so we are lucky in that respect. The current climate doesn't look very promising for gainful employment, so we've decided that I will stay home with the kids and be the caregiver. This is uncharted territory for all of us. The kids have been in daycare essentially since birth, and I haven't spent more than a couple of days home at a time in years.

I'm going to try to blog about my new experiences as much as possible, but history shows I have a tendency to peter out after a while. We'll just have to see how it goes. I've already missed the first week, so I'll just start fresh tomorrow. Maybe.

No comments: